Skip to main content

Critical Consciousness and Critical Race Theory as Tools for Minoritized, Racialized, and Immigrant Families

In memory of our immigrant fathers, the late  John Kunle Awokoya and Taverekere "Kanti" Srikantaiah.

Navigating your journey: Critical tools and resources for immigrant families is a two-part blog series, dedicated by Dr. Janet Awokoya and Dr. Deepa Srikantaiah to their first-generation immigrant fathers.  

The blogs highlight how racism and xenophobia remain a cause of concern for immigrants in the United States, particularly in terms of financial security and access to resources and opportunities.  The blog also mentions specific examples of violence and discrimination faced by immigrants of color, and emphasizes the ongoing nature of this problem, illustrating how systemic racism affects the lives of immigrants. The series intends to explore different perspectives and resources for immigrant families to navigate their journey in the U.S. The blog also gives parents important critical tools to help them deal with racism and xenophobia in the US.

Part I:  Navigating your journey: Critical tools and resources for immigrant families

Part II:  Navigating your journey: Critical tools and resources for immigrant families


Prefer to listen to your books?  Try Audible!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of Title 42 on May 11th, 2023: An Opportunity for America's Future

Janet Awokoya, Ibadan, Nigeria ~1983 Blessings Warriors! I hope you're doing well. I have some exciting news to share with you today. On my birthday, I decided to take action and sent a letter to President Biden with some recommendations to address the challenges on the southern border. As a concerned citizen, I strongly believe that we need to secure the border and find practical solutions to immigration to ensure the safety and prosperity of our country. But here's the thing - I want to hear from you too! I value your opinions and would love to know your thoughts on my recommendations. Do you have any additional suggestions to add to the conversation? Let's have a dialogue and work towards a better future for all. Share your ideas with me in the comments below!

My Power Nap Rebellion: Decolonizing Rest for Pain-Weary Warriors

My Power Nap Rebellion: Decolonizing Rest for Pain-Weary Warriors The sun rises, and like a warrior facing another battle, I brace myself for the familiar ache that binds my body. Chronic pain – it's a constant dance partner, stealing snatches of sleep and whispering doubts about my every move. But listen, fellow warriors, even with pain gripping your joints and bones, there's a weapon in your arsenal that whispers freedom:  the power nap . No, not just a midday snooze. This is a strategic retreat, a defiant act against the limitations pain tries to impose. It's reclaiming our right to rest, not as a concession to weakness, but as a power move, a rebellion against the hustle culture that thrives on our exhaustion. Here's how I wield this weapon: First , the   phone gets banished, emails, text messages, and deadlines left to simmer. This 20-minute oasis is mine. Pain may loom, but in this haven, it loses its edge. Comfy couch, meet weary warrior:  I surrender to my cushi